Monday, January 9, 2012

The Tower of Trials Chapter 1 Page 2

The shorter Vixen stepped up. "Hey, listen up," she called for attention, "The Scarlet Vixens are recruiting!"

There were screeches of bar stools being pushed back as bar patrons rapidly rose up and shouted for attention. Several stepped close to the Vixens.

A big man in bulky ceramic armor pushed aside one of the smaller men who had been calling for attention. "How about me?" he said to the taller Vixen, "How about I join you?"

The dark-skinned Vixen rubbed her chin as she studied his appearance. "Mmm... you good with close range combat?"

"Yes, I'll beat any opponent, whether they come singly or in groups!" the man boasted. He shoved away another man who tried to get close enough to make his job application.

The shorter Vixen placed a hand on the big man's chest and firmly pushed him away. "Sorry, pal, we're looking for someone who can work with machines."

The big man stared at the Vixen disbelievingly. He was about to protest when the other patrons rushed up between him and the Vixens, clamoring for the women's attention. They boasted of their exploits, fame and abilities. But one by one, they were rejected by the Vixens.

"You should hire me!" a woman demanded as she stepped up to the Vixens. She wore a coat with tools sticking out of her pockets. Her face was blackened, except for the skin around her eyes that was the shape of the goggles she wore above her head. She had combed-back pale yellow hair, dirty with dirt and grease.

The Vixens surveyed her from head to toe. "Tell us about yourself," the shorter Vixen requested.

"You want a woman who can fix stuff, you've got me, Sharpwrench Kelly" the woman introduced herself, "I can fix anything. Vehicles, guns, power armor. Can even paint them any color you like too."

The dark-skinned Vixen rubbed her chin again. "Can you fix a broken engine in the middle of a firefight?"

"Betcha I can!" Kelly claimed, "No problem at all. I'd even guarantee my work."

"With bullets flying and things blowing up everywhere?" the tall Vixen added.

"Just keep them off me and I'll do it. Hell can come dance around me for all I care and I'll still get the job done. Just don't let a big one land on me, 'kay?"

Then the shorter Vixen asked, "Can you build stuff?"

"I built a racer myself from scratch," Kelly said, "Can even build you a fully-armed walker if you get me the parts."

"What about getting through security systems?" the same Vixen asked.

Kelly drew herself up proudly. "Not a problem," she said confidently, "Electronic, mechanical, steam - I can do it all."

"Time is sometimes limited, especially in a firefight. Can you work quickly?" the tall Vixen questioned.

Kelly turned to her. "I'm damn sure I can. I make my skills to be the very best."

The two Vixens glanced at each other. Together, they turned to Kelly and declared their decision: "You're overqualified."

Kelly's jaw dropped. "What!?"

The other bar patrons started protesting. "Then what are you looking for?"

"What kind of a engineer do you want then?"

"Are you really hiring?"

Suddenly, George was grabbed by his collar by a bald fat man and hauled to his feet. "What about this one then?"


No comments:

Post a Comment