Monday, November 29, 2010

Gloriously Messed-up Chapter 5 Page 2

Friday came.

Annie and her friend were in Mother's car, on the way home from school. Mother in the driver's seat asked, "Sabine, you're German, right?"

"Yes, Mrs Billings," Sabine replied from the back seat.

"Were you born here or in Germany?"

"Here, Mrs Billings. My parents moved here before I was born."

"Because you're here since you're born, you'd be more a local than a German, don't you think?"

Sabine thought for a moment. "Both my parents are Germans, so I'm one."

"Yes, but you've been exposed to the local culture since birth," Mother argued, "You've been through everything anyone born in this country goes through. I'm sure this makes you act more like one of us."

"Mother," Annie interrupted, "You're arguing that a person's race is based on her upbringing, that the environment that she is brought up in influences her person. This in turn influences her speech, habits and beliefs, things you're saying determines a person's race.

"On the other hand, Sabine is saying race is based simply on ancestry. That is, one's parents' race determines a girl's race."

"Excellent summary," Mother complimented, "So who do you think is right?"

"I don't know," Annie replied, "I'm waiting for class to tell me."

"In that case, as the wisest and as the only person who's completed school present, I shall decide," Mother declared, "And I say that I am definitely right."

Both girls groaned inwardly. Unfortunately, there was no one to protest the unfair judgment to.

A few quiet moments passed before Mother spoke again. "Sabine, would you like to stay for dinner?"

"Um... no.. I shouldn't impose on you."

"Why don't you stay, Sabine?" Annie spoke up, "We'll have more time to study."

"It's really fine," Mother added, "besides you'll be helping Annie a lot."

"I'll stay, then," Sabine decided.

When they reached home, Mother excused herself. "We have a guest and it's one of the rare times your Dad is home, so I want to make dinner special tonight," she had said.

As they climbed the stairs, Sabine glanced at the plastic flowers in the vase at the base of the stairs, the pictures on the walls and the wallpaper with soothing colors. "Your house is so beautiful," she said, "it must be nice living here."

She was also amazed with Annie's room. "Wow, your room is so big." Sabine spun a complete circle and saw everything in the room. She bent to stroke the stuffed toy cat on the bed.

Annie opened her bag and took out her Maths textbook. "Let's get started."

"All right," Sabine agreed, "Do you want to start with today's homework?"

"I think it's pointless if I don't understand it."

"I guess you're right," Sabine agreed, "Do you have your mid-school textbook? We should make sure you know the basics."

It was fortunate that Annie did know the basics. That meant that the mountain she had to climb was not as high as she had initially feared. After a few hours under Sabine's tutelage, Annie was beginning to feel more confident about Maths. However, it was soon time for dinner and they still had much to cover.

"Stay the night, please," Annie implored, "We can study some more after dinner and tomorrow morning."

Sabine flipped through the Maths textbook and sighed. "If you want me to."

"Please do."

"I'll have to call my parents. Can I borrow a phone?"

Annie retrieved her handphone from her handbag. She checked it before handing it over. "Use mine. I'll go tell Mother."

***


No comments:

Post a Comment