Thursday, December 9, 2010

Gloriously Messed-up Chapter 12 Page 1

It was lunch break on Friday.

For the students who had suffered through the morning lesson, it was a welcome time to relax and meet up with friends. For Annie, it was a time when she could satisfy the ridiculous daily demands of her stomach.

As much as Annie would like to spend all her time on her studies, Mother was right that she needed rest once in a while. Two periods of having teachers cram knowledge into her, in addition to the morning sessions, were certainly enough to wear her mind. Towards the end, she had found herself losing concentration as her stomach demanded attention.

However high and noble a girl's intentions were, she still had to make time for food. However powerful the mind might be to reason and conquer great mysteries and problems, the stomach was the ruler of all. And when the stomach wanted food, it would get food.

Now... where should she sit in the cafeteria?

Second Sis was having lunch with her friends. If Connie had not appeared by now, she was probably elsewhere flirting with a boy. And Saki was seated alone as usual. Yeah, she should speak to Saki about Sis and properly apologize. It was partly her fault after all, even if no one else knew the whole truth.

"Saki," Annie called as she slipped beside the little Asian girl.

"Billings!" Saki reacted with a start. She took a deep breath to calm herself.

"Sorry," Annie apologized for startling her, "can I sit next to you?"

The Asian girl moved her chair aside to make space. "Yes, sure."

Annie pulled a chair and sat down. She opened her pink unicorn lunch box. "Saki, sorry about what my sister did. I heard everything."

Saki picked at her packed lunch with a pair of short wooden chopsticks. "You know what happened in the gym?"

Annie nodded. "I'm sorry it happened." She pierced the top of a juice box with a plastic straw.

"I am really embarrassed." The Asian girl sighed. "I was so desperate to get away from your sister I did that. And those boys saw me in that state."

"Yeah, I know. I don't think I should mention what happened." Annie took out a plastic fork and started on her own food.

"So you do know what really happened," Saki said without taking her eyes off her food, "Your sister told you everything?"

"Yeah." Annie nodded.

Saki looked at Annie. "Then you understand how deep my shame is."

"I do. I'm really sorry it happened that way. I didn't expect it too." Annie ate a forkful of her lunch.

"It's not your fault." Saki waved her apology aside and turned back to her lunch.

"It is." Annie took a deep breath. "I asked the blond boy to stop my sister."


No comments:

Post a Comment