Saturday, December 11, 2010

Gloriously Messed-up Chapter 13 Page 4

Another waiter entered the room. He was a red-haired man whose age Annie guessed was in the early twenties.

"This is Robert," Paul introduced, "He shall be serving your parents today and provide you with updates."

"Pleased to meet you," Annie greeted.

"The pleasure's mine," Robert said. He helped Annie into the chair at the table.

Annie took out a small notepad and a pencil from her handbag and wrote a figure. Then she showed it to Paul. "I trust this was the amount I gave you."

Paul took the notepad and held it up to the light. "Yes." He returned the notepad. "Though I must say that it is unusual to receive payment before the meal."

"True," Annie agreed, "But your paying customer is unusual too. It must be reassuring to know that she has paid."

"It is indeed." Paul nodded to the younger waiter. "Robert will help you keep the dinner under your budget."

"I look forward to your support," Annie said politely to Robert.

"Now if you will excuse me, I have a busy evening to attend to." Paul then left for the front of the restaurant.

Annie glanced out the window at the stage. "The pianist isn't here," she noted.

"Our apologies, Ms Billings," Robert said, "The pianist will not be present until later. Rest assured that he will be there long before our special guests order dessert."

"Does the pianist know the song?" Annie asked.

Robert nodded. "Yes, Ms Billings. Mr Lowe is familiar with the song you wanted."

"Then all that's left is to wait."

"Yes, Ms Billings," Robert agreed, "If you'll excuse me, I too have my share duties to perform. I shall return when our special guests arrive."

Annie smiled. "Very well then, Robert."

***

No comments:

Post a Comment