Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Handful of Sand Chapter 43 Page 3

The girls rested after lunch with ice cream and slushies while watching a puppet show with other children and their adult chaperons. No one wanted another ride on a full stomach. Instead, they went into the hall of mirrors (guess who paid for admission again) to laugh at absurd images of themselves.

Esper paid for games after that. The girls tossed basketballs into hoops together. They shot at targets with waterguns. They tossed rings onto pegs.

They played enough games to earn enough tickets to exchange for a stuffed toy for each of them. Sandy chose a small black monkey that looked a lot like the one she had lost when she was small. Ariel got herself an orange cat. Esper selected a purple snake, which she stuffed into her backpack.

At the end of the day, which really was just late afternoon, the girls were outside at the taxi stand in front of the amusement park. They were happy, for all the fun they had together. They were tired, from all the excitement they had experienced. And they were sweating heavily - the sun had been smiling the entire day.

Sandy gathered with her friends under the shadow of the shelter by the street where cabs lined up to collect passengers. Her legs ached from all the walking she had done. But she had fun, and with her closest friends too!

"I hope the two of you will be good friends," Esper told the other two girls, "All you've in school now are each other."

"What are you talking about?" Ariel asked.

Esper sighed and glanced up at the clear sky. "I'm not going to be in Fernham High next year."

"What?" Ariel blurted, "Why?"

Esper turned to the blond. "I'm going to a private school."

"A private school?" Sandy asked.

"It's an expensive school with better facilities and better education," Ariel clarified. She turned back to Esper. "Why are you going there?"

"I just received a large inheritance," Esper answered, "My parents thought that I need a better education to manage my wealth."

The news of her friend's windfall had Sandy's attention. Ariel was interested too as she listened intently.

"One morning last week," Esper began her story, "a man showed up at my doorstep and told us this incredible story, that I had a dead relative who willed me some money. The next day, my parents and I and that man were at an attorney's office with a lot of people I don't know. I thought it's just a small sum, you know, maybe pay for college, then maybe a car."

Esper paused for a breath. "It was much more than that. Not just money but stocks and property. My parents wanted me to learn to manage all my wealth. Well, it will be mine once it's fully transfered to my name on my eighteenth birthday. My grandmother's holding it in trust until then. She's the grandmother I didn't know I had until we met at the attorney's."

"Oh," Sandy uttered at the end of it all. Was she ever going to see her friend again, her rich friend?

Esper smiled. "Hey, I'll still be around town, just not in the same school. We can still hang out during the holidays."

Ariel smiled back. "Yeah, I guess so."

Esper took out her handphone from the pocket of her slacks for a look at the time. "Hey, uh, look. I've to get home and get ready. I've dinner tonight with my grandmother." She sighed. "It's going to take a whole hour to wash all this sweat off."

"Okay," Ariel said.

Esper took out her purse. "Here, let me pay for your cab fare home."

Ariel would not accept it. "Thanks, but no. You've already paid for so much!"

Oh, no, no! Ariel was denying free money! Should Sandy asked for her fare? It would not be appropriate, would it? Yeah, she could not do it. Ariel would not like it. And she had just become friends with the bespectacled blond again.

"Well, okay, then." Esper put away her purse and glanced at the cabs. There were a couple available and no passengers were queuing. "See you around!"

No comments:

Post a Comment