Monday, May 9, 2011

Buddy Rush: Barberella Build for Botherella

Curse is deadly in a close environment. It is especially effective in Chapter 8, Mission 7 ('It's a trap!') with many Oblins in a small area. I had previously designed Botherella's Curse build for the close confines of Challenge Mode. With good MP Regen and lots of 'CoolTime' bonuses, that build was made to spam Curses.

The main problem with the Curse build is the downtime in between Curses. Even with the CoolTime bonuses, there is still a significant period waiting for the skill to be ready. During this time, Botherella is pretty much ineffective. With the new Damage Meter in the Third Wave, I can see how puny her attacks were. I had low Att since I focused on Def so Botherella would live longer in Challenge mode. Also, I did not have enough skill points to beef up Wolfgan.

Another problem is that Curse does not affect inanimate objects. Like that Oblin in a monkey suit hiding in the tree.

One way to improve on the Curse build is to invest in the Summon skill with the new skill points from The Third Wave. The idea is to have Wolfgan do the damage and Curse to soften Oblins. This way, there is no need to invest in Att or Critcal. I call this the Drusilla build. Because Druid-ella or Druid-erella sounds lame.

Update 23 May 2011:
There has been some evidence that suggests that Botherella's stats (Att, Def, HP) affect Wolfgan. An easy way to test this is to form the Pink Assault with three Botherellas with different Def and HP. Then compare to see how long the Wolfgan summons of the Botherellas last.

The other way is to invest in Thornbush to do direct damage. However, this would mean increasing Att. This is the Barberella build, a combination of thorny barbs and curse.

In the end, I went with Barberella. I already had points in Charity, which gives bonuses to both Curse and Thornbush. I like to directly beat up the Oblins. Plus I just like seeing huge numbers in white and orange.
Charity Skill.
A thorny build.
An Att bonus of 72 is more than enough. The idea here is so that Botherella is not useless when Curse is charging, not to be the damage dealer (this is what buddies are for). I kept the high MP Regen and added some HP Regen to compensate for the drop in Def. The significant loss of CoolTime is regrettable but I cannot do much about it until I get the Staff of Sage (item). The loss in Skill Pow is compensated by the increase in Att.
Staff of Sage.
So far, I am pleased with larger white and orange numbers - lots of it when I use Thornbush. However, I am not able to use Curse as often as before.

2 comments:

  1. can you tell me the difference between having a high att and low skill pow to low att and high skill pow?

    like is there a difference in att to skill pow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Att applies to all the character's attacks.

      SkillPow only applies to the character's direct damage skills. It doesn't even apply to Skully's bleeding damage. (I haven't tested to see if it works with Botherella or Toxy's poison).

      However, SkillPow can seriously boost skill's direct damage if backed by a good amount of Att.

      The best way to understand the effect of Att and SkillPow is to experiment. They've given us the Damage Meter, which is a big help.

      Delete