Saturday, January 1, 2011

Gloriously Messed-up Chapter 23 Page 4

As Annie was about to turn back to the text in her hand, she saw Saki enter the room carrying a stack of papers. Annie followed behind the Asian girl as she went past. "Saki!"

Saki started in surprise. "Billings!" Several sheets of paper spilled from her stack.

"Sorry," Annie apologized as she collected the papers that Saki dropped. She replaced them on top of the stack.

"Thanks," Saki said. She dropped her stack of papers on a table.

Annie noticed that the papers were more newsletters. "Saki, are you a member of the club?"

"Yes," Saki admitted, "I joined last semester. I really like to write."

"I see," intoned Annie, "I guess you're safe from all those recruiters out there."

Saki smiled. "Yes, I am. Have they been after you?"

"Yes. One of them even grabbed my hand and won't let go until I joined." Annie unconsciously rubbed her wrist.

"How did you escape?"

"I screamed." Annie gripped her white handbag. "Then hit him a few times. I doubt he'll pull that trick again."

"Saki, there you are." It was that skinny boy again. He squinted at the two girls. "Okay, one of you is Saki."

Annie rolled her eyes up. He still could not tell the difference between the two of them!?

Saki raised her hand. "I'm here." She pointed at the other girl. "That's Billings."

"Billings?" The boy turned his attention to Annie. "You're Annie Billings?"

"Yes, I am," Annie admitted, a little concerned about his sudden interest in her.

He looked at her closely. "Nice to finally meet you. I'm Bill Whittington, the club secretary." He took Annie's hand from her side and shook it.

Annie felt uncomfortable with his proximity and his boldness. "Nice to meet you too." Maybe.

"I've read your essays. I must say you have a way with words," he complimented.

"You read my essays?"

"Oh, yes. Saki showed me. You've improved a lot from those early essays I've seen. You should join the Literature Club." He glanced at the Asian girl. "Don't you think Annie should be in our club?"

"Ummm," Saki drawled hesitantly, "I'm sure Billings is more interested in something else..."

"Oh, that can't be true," Bill said. He turned back to Annie, "You're talented and we can help you improve. We'll provide guidance, criticism, resources. What do you say?"

"I'll... think about it," Annie replied.

"Oh, all right, then. I do hope you'll choose to join our club."

"I'll think about it," Annie repeated, "Now please let go of my hand." Or she would scream.

***


No comments:

Post a Comment