Monday, January 10, 2011

Gloriously Messed-up Chapter 30 Page 1

"Billings!" Saki blurted in surprise when Gloria entered her class that morning, "You're all right!"

Gloria had called Saki during the weekend to inform her that she was fine. But it seemed that the Asian girl was still worried.

"Yeah, I'm okay," Gloria told her.

"No. I mean, you're all right!" Saki repeated, "You got hit by a car right in front of me and now you're standing here. You don't look like you have any injuries on you." She was unusually excited that morning.

Gloria had a few disappearing scabs left from scratches. Those were hidden by her sleeves. Other than those, she had no cast or sling or any sign that she had been hit by a car.

"What's this I hear about getting hit by a car?" Keith popped through the classroom door to ask.

Was the Unscrupulous Reporter now stalking her!? It was true that Gloria's life had been pretty exciting lately and there were plenty of juicy news to report. But it was her personal life!

"Go away, Keith," Gloria told him.

"Were you in an accident?" Ignoring her request, Keith had his notepad and pencil out. "A car accident?"

Gloria raised her arms and spun around slowly so he had a good look at her. "Do I look like I was in an accident?"

"Doesn't look like it," Keith conceded grudgingly when he could not see anything of note. He stayed for a few moments longer, unwilling to let go of a potential story. However, Gloria steadfastly refused to give him any detail of interest. Eventually, he gave up and left the classroom.

Gloria leaned closer to Saki. "It was a minor bump," she whispered, in case Keith was still around to listen.

"But you were out cold on the road," Saki whispered back, "and then the ambulance came."

"It wasn't as serious as it looked," Gloria explained.

"Is the driver in trouble?"

"No. I wasn't hurt too bad." Gloria shrugged. "And he paid for my hospital bill, so there's no reason to press charges."

"It did stop you from speaking with Sabine," Saki pointed out.

Gloria sighed. "Yeah, it did. I may get another chance soon though. I've been called to be a witness in court this Thursday so I'll see her there."

"Court!?" Saki blurted.

"Juvenile court. Don't tell anyone," Gloria said with a lowered voice, "Remember my brush with alcohol? It seems that Connie and Sabine gave it to me."

"But why would they do that?"

"I don't know. I want to ask them."

"Court seems a bit too much just for giving you alcohol."

"Remember the picture you had?" Gloria watched her friend's face carefully. "That was taken while I was unconscious because of that alcohol."

Saki gasped in horror. "They took that picture!? That means they..." Her voice trailed off, unable to vocalize what must have happened to Gloria in order for the photo to be taken.

"Somebody did it. I still don't know the full story," Gloria stressed, "That's what I want to ask Sabine."

"But to have such an awful thing happen to you..." Saki had no words.

"Yeah." Gloria looked down. "I cried a lot about it."

Saki reached out and patted Gloria's hand.

Gloria looked into her friend's eyes. "Please don't tell anyone."

"I won't," Saki gave her word. "So, you're not coming to school this Thursday?"

"No."

"I'll keep your assignments for you," Saki offered.

Gloria put on a weak smile. "Thanks."

***

No comments:

Post a Comment