Thursday, January 6, 2011

Gloriously Messed-up Chapter 27 Page 1

It was always a relief when homework was finally, finally done. Now Annie could relax a little. This achievement deserved a good stretch, a straightening out of her muscles to pull her aches away. It was a calming strain, a welcome feeling, a gesture of triumph over her responsibilities. Yes, it was a great moment, not the time to think about what had happened last Saturday, when she had been a nervous wreck. That had been when she had learned about... about...

No, she would not worry about that now. She had much better use of her time. She had better things to do, rather than collapse into a quivering ball, lacking the will to do anything. She must get on with her life.

She looked over her shoulder. Second Sis was there, writing her own assignment while lounging on Annie's bed. That could not be a good posture for her back.

It was Second Sis' first shift watching Annie. She had started after dinner and was taking it seriously. When it was Big Sis' and Father's turns over the weekend, they had given her some space - they had checked on her once in a while, and had stayed only when Annie had been haunted into desperation by her fears.

Second Sis, however, was watching her like a hawk.

Annie got up from her desk and left her room. Second Sis followed closely behind. Like a hawk.

When Carrie followed her into the bathroom, Annie looked back and gave her blond sister a questioning look.

"I'm not leaving you alone, Annie," Second Sis declared.

"Not even while I do my business?" Annie asked.

"I'm not leaving you alone," Carrie repeated.

"Fine," Annie sighed, "At least close the door."

Second Sis obliged. She turned back to see her sister seated on the toilet. Carrie quickly spun around. "Annie, gross!" she protested.

"You're the one who wanted to watch me this closely," Annie threw back at her.

"Well, I can't have you killing yourself on my watch!"

"I'm not killing myself!" Annie stressed.

"Fine! Tell me when you're done!" commanded Second Sis. When she heard the flush, she turned around. She quickly spun back when she had seen her sister. "Annie, you're naked!"

"I'm not going to shower in my clothes!"

"Can you not shower while I'm around!?"

"You can wait outside!"

"I'm not leaving you alone!"

"Then stay like that facing the door!" Annie told her, "I'm taking my shower!" She got in the shower stall and started the water.

"I can't see if you're doing something to yourself like this!" Second Sis shouted over the noise of running water.

"Of course I'm doing something to myself! I'm cleaning myself!"

"What if you're hurting yourself!?"

"I can't very well be hurting myself while I'm shouting at you!"

"I can't be sure of that!"

"Then turn around and see!"

"But you're naked!"

The sisters continued shouting at each other for another minute. Then there was a knock at the door. Second Sis answered it. Carrie explained the situation with a voice so loud that Annie heard every word over the shower.


No comments:

Post a Comment