Thursday, January 6, 2011

Gloriously Messed-up Chapter 27 Page 4

That Friday, on their bus ride towards the city, the girls had plenty of time to talk. Saki was indeed nervous about being alone with Annie. The Asian girl kept glancing at her for any sign of trouble. Time spent on gossip and idle chatter calmed her a little.

Annie learned a lot more about Saki that day. Saki loved writing. She took pleasure in putting her thoughts into words, arguing her reasonings to an imaginary reader. Typing out those words was also an enjoyable experience. The repeated feel and sound of spring-loaded keys being pushed was somehow soothing.

Thinking back on her own experience, Annie agreed. It was no surprise that Saki had sought the Literature Club early the previous semester.

Their destination that day was Mack and Chee's, home of the Double Chocolate Banana Split, the dessert Mother and Second Sis had the last time she was there. Annie had felt a little regret for not ordering that oversize dessert at that time so she took the opportunity to get one to share with Saki.

It was huge. Neither of the little girls would be able to finish it alone without spoiling their appetite for dinner. Sharing sweets was a good way to tighten relationships.

The girls each started with one of the two cherries. "Chee is a Chinese name," Saki mentioned, "But I don't see any Chinese working here."

"Maybe he is a silent partner," Annie said.

"Maybe," Saki agreed. She ate a spoonful of chocolate. "This ice cream is good. Thanks for bringing me here."

"You're welcome." As she scooped some of the ice cream for herself, Annie noted the red pouch on Saki's cloth bag. "Saki, the red pouch..."

"Don't worry, it's empty." Saki twisted the pouch to prove it. She looked directly at Annie. "I'm really sorry for having the photo."

Guess one sorry was not enough for Saki. Annie would except as many apologies as necessary so her friend would feel at ease. She just did not like being reminded of the picture though.

"It's okay. It's in all the past." Annie buried her worries of the past with another spoonful of ice cream. Sweet lovely ice cream. "Where did you get the photo anyway?"

"Off the Internet," Saki answered, "I overheard a few girls talk about it. They said it can protect them from you. I didn't believe it existed until I actually found it."

"Is the website still there?"

Saki thought for a moment. "I didn't dare check it again, but if you really want to see it, I can e-mail you the address."

"No, no, there's no need." Annie did not want to torment herself with what she might find. Besides, if the police knew about it, they might have already shut it down. "Was I really that bad in the past?"

Saki took a deep breath. "I think I told you once that I was bullied last semester. Do you remember?"

Annie nodded.

Saki steeled herself and continued, "It was you, Billings. You were the bully."

Annie closed her eyes and took a deep breath. So she really had been that kind of girl. She had suspected she had been something like that. Still, it was hard to accept.

The Asian girl tightened her lips. "I was afraid that you would turn into that bully again. I was really, really afraid when you got upset last week."

"Sorry about that," Annie apologized. Guess one sorry was not enough for her either.

Saki waved away her concern. "It's ironic. The photo I believed would keep the old you from me actually brought the old you back."

"Yeah, it's ironic," Annie agreed. She cut herself some banana and mixed it with some chocolate syrup. "I sometimes find it hard to believe that I was like that."

Saki peeked at her. "I noticed that you suddenly changed after you came back from the hospital."

"For the better, I hope," Annie said.


No comments:

Post a Comment