Thursday, January 6, 2011

Gloriously Messed-up Chapter 27 Page 3

No sooner than she was rid of Keith, Billy and Reese came up to her desk and demanded answers. Well, only Billy demanded. Reese listened from the back.

"Is it true that Connie and Sabine are suspended?" Billy had asked.

"I don't know," Annie replied, "This is all news to me."

"Did you do something to them?" he accused.

"No!" Annie objected vehemently, "They're my friends!" At least, she thought so. With everything that had happened lately and all the allegations flying around, she was now uncertain.

Billy had shrank back at her outburst. He retreated with Reese following behind him.

What was going on?

It appeared to be true that her friends had been suspended. Connie and Sabine had not turned up that day. Saki was there, however. She had stopped hiding once she realized that Annie had not been after her. They had not even spoken or sat together during Tuesday's Literature Club meeting.

Connie and Sabine were gone. It was likely related to all that had happened to Annie, troubling events that she had discovered only recently. And now she was not even sure if they were friends. Annie felt alone. She needed to be with someone.

Other than Connie and Sabine, Saki was her closest classmate. She was the person that Annie felt she could trust. She needed to patch their friendship, she needed the Asian girl's companionship, if only so she would not be on her own with her worries.

Thus during the informal club meeting that day, Annie sat next to Saki.

"Saki," Annie began, "Sorry about what happened last week. I got upset when I saw... you know."

"I'm sorry too," Saki apologized in return, "It was wrong of me to keep that picture of you."

Friendship was restored. It was a miracle that a simple apology could do wonders to patch a broken relationship.

"How about we go out for something sweet to eat after school?" Annie suggested.

Saki appeared uncertain. "Greasy Aunt's?"

"No, I was thinking of a place closer to the city."

Saki thought for a moment. "I'm sorry, I have something on tomorrow." For one fleeting moment, she had a worried expression that seemed to add 'I have to update my last will and testament'.

"How about Friday?" Annie smiled sweetly. "It'll be my treat."

Saki pondered some more. "Friday's fine."

***

No comments:

Post a Comment