Thursday, January 6, 2011

Gloriously Messed-up Chapter 27 Page 5

"I like the present you better." Saki ate more chocolate. "What had happened that time that made you change?"

"Apparently trying to kill myself changes things," Annie said dryly.

Saki stared at her with eyes widened in shock.

"I was told that I tried to kill myself by jumping off a bridge."

"Why would you do that?"

"I was told it was because Mother refused to buy me a dress." Annie put on a humorless smile.

"Because of that!?" Saki leaned closer. "What do you mean 'you're told'? You're not sure what happened yourself, are you?"

Annie toyed with her spoon. "I think that was what happened."

"You don't remember?"

"I do. Sort of. Something's wrong with my memories." Annie tapped the side of her head. "All of my memories are still in there, somewhere. It's just that I can't find them when I want to. Someone or something has to trigger it or help me remember."

Annie sighed. "It was a shock to learn what I really was before. A very big shock."

"But how can a fall change you?" Saki asked, "I hear trauma can mess a person's memory, but can it also mess with your personality?"

Annie shrugged. "I don't know. Maybe some day some shrink will pick my head apart and find out."

They continued eating quietly after that. When they had finished, Annie paid for the treat. She accepted another word of thanks from Saki.

Outside, it was already raining. The girls took out their umbrellas and started walking to the bus stop.

"I heard Baker and Weiss got suspended," Saki mentioned.

"Seems to be true."

Saki glanced at her. "You didn't have anything to do with it, did you?"

Annie shook her head. Sigh. Saki was still a little suspicious of her. "I think it's something they may have done to me. Sorry, I don't know the full story myself. So until then, I don't think I should talk about it."

"Have you tried calling either of them?"

Annie looked down the wet sidewalk they were on. There were few pedestrians in the rain at that time in the late afternoon. "Connie's handphone's out of service. I tried calling Sabine's house. All I got was a woman with broken English. She said Sabine didn't want to talk to me, I think." She glanced at Saki. "I really need to talk to Sabine."

They stopped at the junction and waited for the traffic lights to change. Opposite the road, Annie noticed a plump girl running down the sidewalk. Despite the rain, the girl did not have an umbrella or a raincoat.

Sabine? What a coincidence. Annie called out her name.

The girl skidded to a halt when she saw Annie. Then she turned and ran in the opposite direction.

Huh? Why would she do that?

Annie glanced up at the pedestrian light to see that it had just turned green. She hurried across the road after Sabine. If it was Sabine, she would need an umbrella.

Then she heard Saki scream her name behind her. Annie spun back to look. Suddenly, she heard the screech of tires very close to her. She turned in time to see an approaching car.

Always, always look both directions and make sure it is safe before crossing the road. Even if it is at a pedestrian crossing. Even if the pedestrian light is green. Even if there are other people crossing. Even if someone else says it is clear.

What a strange thing to think about just before being hit by a car.

***

No comments:

Post a Comment