Thursday, August 25, 2011

Handful of Sand Chapter 31 Page 2

"Yeah," Ditz said, "She's working so hard and there's so many of us. She can't look after us all. She's always tired."

"How many children are there in your family?" Sandy asked curiously.

"Eight."

"Eight!?" That was more than the number of residents in the Sunshine Girl's Home. "You've a big family."

"Yeah," Ditz agreed, "My brothers are in another home. I miss my Mummy."

"Don't worry, I'll look after you," Sandy promised. Like a big sister would.

Ditz's large black eyes brightened. "Really?"

"Yeah, I'm gonna be rich someday. Then I can buy you all the goodies you want."

Ditz smiled. "Thanks, Sandy!"

They watch the television silently for a few minutes. Then Ditz asked, "Sandy, how long have you been here?"

"Here? All my life, I guess."

"Really? What about your parents?"

"I never knew my parents. I lived here ever since I was a baby." Out of the corner of her eye, Sandy noticed Momma Lois passing the entrance of the living room on her way to the kitchen.

"Oh. So how is it here?" Ditz asked.

"It's not so bad," Sandy replied, "But the room's a little small."

"Is it?" Ditz looked at her. "I had to share my room with my two sisters."

That must have been a really crowded room. Sandy's own room was a luxury compared to that.

"Sandy!" Momma Lois called from the kitchen, "Did you do the laundry?"

"Yes, Momma," Sandy called back.

"Come here and see what you've done!"

Momma Lois's voice had an edge to it. Sandy lived with her long enough to recognize that tone. It meant that she had done something very wrong.

Sandy went into the kitchen where Momma Lois was, reluctantly, not just because of the impending scolding but also because she had to leave the happy box. Ditz followed behind.

In the kitchen, Momma Lois pointed at the entry into the laundry room. Bubbles were flowing out of the room, lots and lots of bubbles. "Sandy, didn't you pay attention while you were doing this?"

Oops. Sandy must have put too much detergent. If anyone wondered why the Sunshine Girls Home did not have more residents, they need not look further than Sandy.

"I've told you many times how much detergent to use," Momma Lois continued, "Don't you ever listen?"

Ditz scooped a double handful of bubbles and tossed them up. She watched as the bubbles floated in the air. "Wow, is laundry always this fun?"

Momma Lois shook her head and sighed. "Clean this," she told Sandy with exasperation in her voice. She turned back to her office.

Sandy took out a pair of mops and handed one to Ditz. Disturbingly, Sandy had plenty of experience cleaning up messes such as that.

***

No comments:

Post a Comment